Hello Jeffrey!

On Friday, October 03, 2003, 6:45 AM, you wrote

William Moore>> Rude? Un-friendly? Surely not.
WM>> The mods go out of their way to be the exact opposite.

J> I would not call it rude and unfriendly, but it can be intimidating to
J> the newbie. ...

But it's not because any of the moderators are intentionally
discourteous. When I first subscribed to the list, almost a year ago,
I was so inexperienced with lists and e-mail vocabulary and etiquette
that I could not understand the Welcome Message and its rules, let
alone follow them.

Of course, I got the standard reminders, and I felt more insulted than
intimidated. The moderators took a lot of time making friends with me
and helping me. And then they took some of my suggestions for putting
the reminders in what I hoped would turn out to be a clearer and less
intimidating form.

If you can help improve them further, I myself would greatly
appreciate it if you would write to Marck D. Pearlstone with your
suggestions. I know they would be welcomed and you would get a
friendly, warm, courteous reply.

J> ... Or even to the veteran of other lists. ...

See above, second paragraph.

J> ... I rarely post here for fear of breaking one rule or another. ...

I am so sincerely sorry that you feel that way. My take is that it is
better to post--this being a small list and for the most part composed
of people eager to be friends with one and to read one's views--and
then deal with any reminders that come up with as much good humor and
lack of shame as possible, than to keep silent and miss either getting
help or helping someone else.

J> ... When I do post, I re-read my email many times to look for
J> possible errors and to make sure that my meaning is clear and not
J> subject to misinterpretation.

Well, yes, I think that is exceedingly prudent and intelligent
behavior. I try to do that, too, but I know that some posters' lives
are much busier than mine and they may have less time for careful
re-reading.

And everyone who reads me knows what a poor proofreader I am and how
inclined I am to get carried away and send something off prematurely
when I am feeling particularly eager to join in the conversation!

This list has been like an electronic family to me, along with TBOT,
and I can't say enough good about it.

Thanks for writing, Jeff. Let us hear more!!

J> Just my 2 cents...

Well, mine too. :)

Mary

The Bat! 2.00.6 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1