ken green wrote:

>> Try dragging and dropping a message to another folder. If your
>> connection is fast, the operation should be immediately carried out as
>> if it were POP. However, if the connection is slow, it would seem as
>> if nothing happened. At the next sync operation, TB! will send
>> commands to the server to carry out the move operation and then the
>> folders will be sync'd to reflect the move.

>> Could this be the problem with your read filters?

kg> Isn't this (the "fast" and "slow" connection) set in account
kg> properties?

Those provide the suggested settings one should use when using a fast
vs slow connection. However, you don't have to use them. :)

kg> I have it set for fast connection. RE: dragging and dropping to another
kg> folder - I will confirm, but yes, I believe the behavior you describe is
kg> what is happening.

In the mail management setup for the account properties, do you have
the 'autoconnect to server' options checked for all those options. In
this way, when you do anything with an IMAP folder, a sync operation
is done to update the server?

>> I don't understand what you're asking there. How would a local folder
>> be automatically created during a sync operation?

kg> When a folder is created, you have the choice of whether is syncs
kg> or not. If no, it remains local only, right? If it is synched with
kg> the server, it gets created on the server, right?

I've been wondering about this. From what I've been seeing, it would
seem that creating a root folder for an IMAP account leads to a
corresponding IMAP folder being created at the server level.

But then again, I only create folders at home and I do full sync's
with all folders at home. Maybe this is why corresponding server side
folders are being created. I'll do some testing later.

kg> Yes, I can *manually* move messages to common folders.  I was
kg> trying to move messages to common folders with an auto-filter.

Stick a pin! :)

Now, I didn't realize that you're trying to filter from an IMAP folder
to a common folder. I've never tried this and will try this later.
Have you tried auto-filtering to another IMAP folder? I do that a lot
and it works.

TB! doesn't filter across IMAP accounts and may very well not filter
to common folders. Can you manually filter from the IMAP INBOX to a
common folder?

kg> I had set up a hierarchy of folders that were outside my mail
kg> accounts. For me, this was the best way to organize business mail
kg> as well as personal projects, because the source messages didn't
kg> always come from the same account. I didn't want my folders "tied"
kg> to a specific mail account.

kg> Perhaps this isn't a good way to do things when using IMAP?

Perhaps not now, when the facility for auto-filtering to common folders
hasn't been dealt with.

kg> Read filters are only working half-way for me.  I can get the
kg> messages colored, but not moved to a common folder.

I have bad news. When they're moved, they lose their colour change. :/
This problem is known and ways to get around this is being looked at.

kg> You are correct.  I forgot about that.  I actually set up a bunch of
kg> filters that way once before, but removed them because 1.62r wasn't
kg> synching folders properly and I couldn't download messages that had been
kg> filtered.  But I bet v2 will utilize server-side filters exactly how I
kg> want.  Hmmm....

They will work. However, the filtering can only be done to server side
folders and not your local common folders.

kg> Server-side filtering is a really good idea......

It's great for me.

kg> Thanks again for all your help.

No prob. :)

--