Hi,

On Tuesday, March 23, 2004, at 7:26:51 PM PST, I wrote:

> This has *never* been a problem for me in the past, but recently, it
> has begun to happen. Whenever TB! is checking for new mail, while
> CPU usage does go up to 30% or so, it isn't until the very end of
> the process that it spikes up to 100%, and for a few moments, my
> mouse is virtually uncontrollable.

First, thanks to everyone who tried to help! I *seem* to have isolated
the culprit, but I'm unsure about how I should deal with it...

The apparent culprit here is "rundll32.exe" (Run DLL as an APP), found
in the ...\Windows\system32 folder (WinXP Home).

When I go into "EndItAll" and close the "rundll32.exe" process, I no
longer notice the annoying mouse strain mentioned in my original
message (quoted above), regardless of CPU usage "spikes" as the
Connection Centre does its thing. In fact, while "rundll32.exe" is not
running, I haven't noticed any unhappy side effects (not yet, anyway).

However, since I haven't yet tested doing many different things while
"rundll32.exe" is shut down, I may have just not run into any obvious
problems yet. I do remember, while doing certain things, my firewall
(Kerio Personal Firewall) will pop up and ask me if I want to allow
"Run DLL as an APP" in order to proceed to the next step of some
process.

After Googling on "rundll32.exe", it does seem that this process has
its fingers in several different areas of "normal" operations, so I'm
not sure if it's okay to look for a way to disable the process
permanently. If, however, disabling this process under normal
operating conditions is not a problem, could someone explain to me
just how I might go about disabling it at startup?

I've looked in the "Control panel/administrative tools/services", and
haven't yet found it there (though I may just be missing something
obvious there, so I'll go back and look more carefully).

So...does anyone have suggestions with regards to this "rundll32.exe"
thingy?

Thanks!

--
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys

TB! v2.04.7 on Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1