Hello Marck,

Sunday, May 16, 2004, 4:22:53 PM, Marck D Pearlstone wrote:

GS>> ... I do like your Grandfather/Father/Son backup, but the 7-Zip
GS>> incremental backup better because it is MUCH FASTER.

MDP> Alright. How about this hybrid version then?

Most definitely a keeper.  :-) What did I do convert you to incremental
backups?  :-)  You will find these are just flat out FAST!

Did you see 7-Zip author will be coming out with a newer version?

,----- [ http://www.7-zip.org/ ]
| 7-Zip 4.00 (2004 May):
|
|    1. Multivolume
|    2. Absolute pathnames in command line
|    3. Multiple archives handling in one command
|    4. Compressing/decompressing from/to stdin/stdout in command line
`-----

Now the only problem I see to make this one heck of a backup is to be
able to run this batch file automatically after you exit TB. See Thomas
Anderson's message per mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Any ideals?

Just thinking out loud here. Doesn't Systinternals
(http://www.sysinternals.com/) have freeware utilities where you could
check to see if TB was running?

,----- [ Per "About The Bat! Command line parameters" in Help file ]
| To ensure that a copy of The Bat! is running on a computer, a program
| that need to interact with The Bat! must check whether the mutex called
| "The Bat!" is owned by a process and, if it is not, The Bat! must be
| started.
`-----

You could use Windows Scheduler to start TB on boot, then give 10
seconds for TB to start, then start Systinternals utility to check for
"The Bat!" process.  When "The Bat!" process not there, then start
backup batch file.

Am I in left field here, or do you catch my drift? Is there an easier
way? I have learned some programming, but am not aware of all of the
nuances of NT systems. Like I said just thinking out loud.

--
Best Regards,
Greg Strong

Using The Bat! v2.11 Beta/5 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

There are no guarantees in life.