***^\
 ~~( __ _"o   Was Mon, 17 May 2004, at 12:31:15 -0500,
    @  @      when Allie Martin wrote:

> Mica Mijatovic wrote:

MM>> I still do not understand why one uses such a programs when there
MM>> are excellent free command line archivers one can do anything with
MM>> by batch files. Even better and might be even faster.

> TB! isn't the only thing I backup.

I backup *all*, via ARJ (2.60). :-) Version 2.8x is in some aspects
better, but generally it runs markedly slower.

> It's certainly faster for me to point and click into effect, some of
> the backups that I do. I really can't be bothered with tweaking and
> testing batch scripts. :)

I also do that with a mere click. :-) I click (or "Start - Run -
'bkupall'"), and "bkupall.bat" calls all the bunch of other about 50
.bat files which do their jobs collectively and diligently. When I feel
lazy, I schedule the bkupall.bat to run each hour, or in every 27
minutes.

"Tweaking and testing" batch scripts you do only once. :-) Same as when
you configure any other backup program.

> I don't mind buying and using Second Copy to make it easier for me.
> Time isn't an issue since my backups are done automatically and while
> I'm asleep. I know that one can do it other ways and with tools
> already in their possession. It's up to you really, and I don't see
> the point of making an issue out of how one chooses to do it. <shrug>

Well, that part was certainly my omission to understand motives and
habits of others. I see my mistake now and I agree, with what you say.

Although I just had offered a cheaper and faster way (perhaps even more
reliable one, and safer for OS). If no one is interested in, I am back
in my grotto. :-)

--
Mica