Hallo Simon,

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:57:30 +0100GMT (27-9-2007, 17:57 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

RO>> TB handles better with 100 folders with 1000 messages each than with one
RO>> folder with 100000 messages.

IT> Is this a documented limitation of TB!? Or is it purely a limitation
IT> discovered at the expense of TB! users?

It's a matter of physics and it depends on the available RAM in your
system.
Every folder has its own directory and message base, that's
documented in the help file. Therefore you can understand that a large
folder takes more resources to be read (and will corrupt easier too.)
It's documented in the help file that you should purge and compress
regularly (especially large folders.)

My folders vary in size, the largest contains 23000 messages, the
smallest four, that's messages of course and in bytes that's
different.
In bytes my messages.ebb files (I'm using OTFE) vary between 4 kB
(empty) and  265 MB (513 messages, 181 with attachments), the 23000
messages directory only 65 MB (hardly any attachments)
On my previous PC TB acted rather sluggish with this one folder
containing a mere 20 - 30 messages, I had this idiot that sent me
30+ MB attachments, just opening that folder caused me troubles.
On my current system I would've had less problems (there's a
difference between W98 512MB and XP 2GB), but I can't test that as I
saved those attachments separately and purged them from my message
base.
What was great about this system that even with one sluggish folder,
my other folders were just fine, because TB only cares about the
folders you've got open.

100 Folders with 1000 messages each is overly cautious of course, but
a single folder with 100000 messages isn't the smartest thing to do.

Generally a folder with 1000 messages won't have 1000 attachments, but
when you're collecting messages with MP3 files in a single folder the
you're bound to get problems, even with a mere 1000 messages: my MP3s
average about 3.5 MB, that makes a 5 MB message, so my 1000 messages
would make me a 5 GB message base. Something like that is likely to
burst some time. When all your other mail is in that same folder,
you've got a catastrophe.
'Documented?', you ask. I answer: 'Common sense!'
Users that burned themselves? Plenty! It's not that long ago that your
general OS didn't allow files bigger than 2 GB and there were lots of
of idiots that ignored those warnings too.

Guideline: Keep archive folders under the 1 GB, folders with regular
traffic half of that. High traffic folders less than 100 MB. And note
that everything incoming passes your inbox, so that's the highest
traffic you'll get and therefore the most vulnerable folder.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

This program must die under Microsoft Windows.
http://www.voormijalleen.nl/
The Bat! 3.99.24
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
3 pop3 accounts
OTFE enabled
P4 3GHz
2 GB RAM