Hi

On Friday 26 June 2009 at 12:26:47 PM, in
<mid:1947019524.20090626122...@privateofcourse.co.uk>, Privateofcourse
wrote:

>  JOOC, where do TB! users create their folders? Inside
>  or outside of the Inbox?

Mine are all outside of the inbox.

>  I was visiting a friend last night and noticed that
>  she'd created folders inside of her email client's
>  Inbox. There were quite a few folders in there as
>  well. She's an Outlook Express user, and won't budge
>  from it.

Well, if it works for her and does what she wants it to...

When I first got a PC and used Outlook Express, my folders were all
outside the inbox. It would not have occurred to me to put them inside
the Inbox, even though I nested some of my folders inside other
related ones.

>  I commented on the folders and she said that
>  she'd followed an online guide, and sure enough,
>  there's a How-to available showing OE users how to do
>  it. In fact there are a number of guides for OE users
>  describing this method of organization.

It would also not have occurred to me to look for a guide to tell me
how to organise my folders (-;

I see the logic behind that scheme - it's just not /my/ logic.

I recently worked with somebody who created folders within the inbox
in Outlook. The rest of us who shared that computer would always move
them out for her and put them with the rest of the folders. This was
not just me, as sometimes I would decide I was moving it later, then
find it already moved the next time I looked at Outlook.

>  Do you think there are any good or valid reasons for
>  not creating subfolders within Inboxes, and
>  specifically, the TB! Inbox?

IIRC, the wisdom about not leaving your mails in the inbox is because
it is a very high-traffic folder; meaning the messagebase files are
accessed for a very large number of read/write operations, which
increases the possibility of the messagebase becoming corrupted. A
sub-folder within the Inbox is still a distinct folder with its own
messagebase files, so should still guard against this eventuality -
IMHO.

>  I've always created them outside of the Inbox, rather
>  seeing the Inbox as a metaphor for an in-tray, so a
>  temporary area that you sort out and then file stuff
>  elsewhere.

Same here. In fact, all my inboxes contain zero messages - the last
filter in each account moves any message not yet picked up by a filter
to an "other incoming" folder and I move, action, or delete from
there. (-:

MFPA

Confusion is always the most honest response

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600