On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jeff Sturm wrote:

> Mo DeJong wrote:
> > What is a "thin lock"? Did you mean spin lock? I don't see what is
> > wrong with a good old mutex, but putting one in means we would
> > need to require a thread safe version of Tcl. I don't really
> > like the "use the JVM to do locking" hacks in there now. Using
> > the JVM to do locking in a JVM finalizer seems like a really
> > bad idea.
>
> Thin locks are usually performed in user space, i.e. without help from
> the OS kernel.  Spin locks are an example.  A mutex might work, but
> isn't really portable either... depends on the OS.

Ahh, but Tcl provides a portable locking layer when compiled with
threads support. That is what I am sugesting we use for the mutex.

If we require Tcl thread support, we can get rid of the Java
monitor used in JAVA_LOCK. Anything to avoid calling a JNI
method is a plus in my book.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc