Bah.

I want to review 2 pages. I want the content to be fulfilling. I want
the fonts and formats to be spot on. I want to be able to say,
promising, has the elements I'm looking for, let's invite him to present
his portfolio ....

Why 2 pages? Because I have my regular job to do and, oh by the way, 12
resumes to read, a half-dozen interviews to conduct, for which I have no
time, so I want two pages.

Why care about fonts? Having received resumes with curiously bad font
choices, I have to say if it's the first or second resume, I might not
disregard a resume with fonts that I PERCEIVE as difficult to read, but
by the time I hit my third resume, forget it, timing was not on your
side.

Why care about layout? Make the resume easy to read, use indents and
white space to help me find my way through, be consistent in the
application of styles, reduce, reduce, reduce,  the number of fonts used
(please, one is fine, sometimes two).

Why care about content? I'm interested in seeing how your resume matches
my job. In other words, I expect you worked before, and I bet in a lot
of those jobs, you did nice things well that I don't really care about.
Look at the job description and, where possible, write your resume to
tell you about things you've done in the past that apply to your current
application.

If I get a DOC file, I take a look at style use as an indication of the
writer's thought process--I know, it's a resume, why waste time on
bothering with styles? Well, because it shows you care about them, and I
do, and seeing style use is a plus.

If I get a PDF, I look for embedded fonts, scan the metadata to see if
anything interesting is in there, and such.

Make sure you are consistent. Make sure you spell product names
correctly. Make sure there are no typos or spelling mistakes.

Cheers,

Sean