No matter how large the company, if the HR department does not know the
criteria upon which the hiring manager will base their decision in a
specific hiring situation, that's trouble right there.

But it's like anywhere else -- if the HR people are motivated to do their
jobs, they'll make sure they do indeed understand what the job description
means and what kind of person they're searching for. If they don't bother to
do that, they'll soon get another opportunity because the position will
either not be filled or the hired individual won't work out.

I have sometimes received good recommendations from HR, other times off base
suggestions of who they thought would fit. When their choices didn't jive
with mine, I spoke with them to get us like-minded -- the hiring manager has
a responsibility to properly convey their requirements after all.

I've worked with good recruiters and bad; the good ones save you time but
still can't do the hiring for you. The bad ones complicate an already tough
process.

Despite all of that, the candidate who presents an application that clearly
gets the company's attention and demonstrates that s/he meets their needs is
going to be successful more often than not.

I got jobs not because I sent a goofy resume, but because I sent a resume
that immediately spoke to their needs and culture. Even a thickheaded
recruiter or HR department could see that I had something to offer and was
worth considering.
--Beth