Jones, Donna wrote:
> It means that the original graphic is double the size of the 50%
> graphic. The top one uses "Auto," which isn't a particular percentage.

The top graphic is the original graphic.  "auto" means fit to original
size.

The confusion here is that "height" in percents does not mean "percent
of this element."  It means "percent of the height of the enclosing
element."  In other words, its not 50% of the image size, its 50% of the
size of the entire "try it" display area, which is 400 pixels plus or
minus.  That's how an image with height=50% ends up larger than the
original image.

It'd be nice if w3schools explained these subtleties in their
"tutorials" but they never do.  (I'm not a fan).

Laura

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.