On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Michael van Elst wrote:

e...@math.uni-bonn.de (Edgar =?iso-8859-1?B?RnXf?=) writes:

Do you, or does anyone you know, rely on any of these modules?
While I do use both linux and linux32 (to execute the proprietary TSM client),
I could just modload them if I wouldn't build my own kernel anyway.

The difference is to have a fix configuration to load it while booting
or to load and unload it on demand.

At least for x86 architectures, you can easily edit /boot.cfg to include the required load commands. This causes the boot loader to "push" the modules before init gets started.

I do this regularly with ffs & wapbl (these modules are NOT included in my custom kernel configs)!

        # caqt /boot.cfg
        load=wapbl
        load=ffs
        menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd
        menu=Boot single user:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -s
        menu=Disable ACPI:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -2
        menu=Disable ACPI and SMP:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -12
        menu=Drop to boot prompt:prompt
        menu=Run memory test:boot memtestplus

        default=1
        timeout=5
        clear=1
        #

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |