Brian Buhrow <buh...@nfbcal.org> writes:

>       hello Brad.  I thought the idea behind modules was that you didn't need
> to rebuild a
> kernel to add devices to the ioconf table?  And, in fact, under the old
> module framework, that
> is, NetBSD-5 and earlier, you could add devices and major numbers to the
> table without having
> to rebuild the kernel.  If, in fact, I need to rebuild the kernel to add
> device drivers to the
> kernel, then I submit our module framework is fatally broken.  So, I'll hope
> that isn't the
> case and proceed.  If I figure out how to do it, I'll post here so others
> won't have to climb
> that learning curve using the same path.
> -thanks
> -Brian

My general experience seems to be that a recompile of the kernel is
needed, at least when used in the manor I used it (adding a new module
that used a static major number in one of the major files).  I was
bundling a module that would be added to src anyway, so the recompile
wasn't a notable problem.  The devsw_attach(9) man page implies that the
major and minor number can be selected with that call, but I have never
used it that way.

--
Brad Spencer - b...@anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org