sky...@cs.earlham.edu wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 07:09, Brian Mathis wrote:

>>> OSHA and likely your state's labor department regulate the maximum
>>> noise level a worker can be exposed to without protection. You ought to
>>> be able to get your employer to provide you either ear plugs or
>>> something more permanent.
>>>

>> This is true, but it doesn't help you if you are colocating at a data
>> center.  Also, you need to decide if it's politically wise to throw around
>> OSHA regulations at work when a box of ear plugs at the drug
>> store is $3 (hint: it's not wise.  If you really care just go buy some ear
>> plugs).  Those regulations are meant for people who are in such an
>> environment all day long (like if you work at an airport).  You need to
>> know how to pick your battles.
>>

> While it is trivial to buy protection of your own for the job, I would
> argue that it's better to remind your employer that it is legally
> obligated to protect its workers, and that you're aware that you have
> those protections. That way you'll be on better footing to resist even
> more serious hazards like lifting and confined space work. Even if the
> employer doesn't do it for you, the incentive of not having a bunch of
> worker's comp claims on its record ought to be enough.

As has been said already, it's best to save adversarial relationships in
your workplace for when it really matters. Adversarial attitudes cut
both ways. Start making legalistic statements at your employers, and
they could start laying down legal restrictions on your behavior and
cutting back on your discretion. They may come around with a document
saying that employees at this level cannot do any of the following
things (long list) without prior approval from higher up. etc. And, it
could end up affecting subsequent evaluations and pay raises.

Seen it happen more than once. Happily, not to me. Once it became so
uncomfortable that it ended in a layoff. Union and company lawyers were
both involved, but the employee was out the door.

If you really want to bring it up, I would bring it up in a more
friendly manner. Express your concern about the level of noise and ask
if it is possible to get some hearing protection. Keep it congenial and
cooperative, not confrontational. (Quoting OSHA regs is confrontational
unless it just happens to come up in the course of conversation.)

The job ads for network people in the local OIT (not my department) list
physical requirements for the job, such as "needs to be able to lift
70lbs and carry it . . .", etc., so that it's clear whoever is hired is
expected to be able to lift equipment. I'm making up the specific
number, because I don't happen to have one of their ads handy. As far as
lifting is concerned, every server box I have ever seen gives warnings
and has pictures of two people lifting the box together, bent from the
knees, with backs straight. Again, if it comes up, ask for help. Present
a friendly, cooperative attitude, and it is more likely to be reciprocated.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator