You need to think like a businessman, not a techie.  The techie wants
to figure out a technical solution to prevent people from doing
something, while the businessman charges a penalty fee if someone uses
more than they're supposed to.

Using a fee has a bunch of advantages:
- You get more money if people go over
- It costs you almost nothing in time or effort to implement (as far
as engineering a solution).  You just need to have the monitoring
system setup.
- It places the burden on your customers to stay in line, instead of you
- It allows you to make more efficient use of your power resources
since you don't have to rigidly divide them up among customers.
- We live in a capitalist society.  Capitalism is not about greed,
it's about using financial incentives/disincentives to steer people in
the direction you want them to go, instead of forcing them.

It does put you at some risk, and the amount of the overage fee should
be proportional to that risk.

You're running a business, so be the businessman.