Brian Mathis wrote:
> You need to think like a businessman, not a techie.  The techie wants
> to figure out a technical solution to prevent people from doing
> something, while the businessman charges a penalty fee if someone uses
> more than they're supposed to.
>
> Using a fee has a bunch of advantages:
> - You get more money if people go over
> - It costs you almost nothing in time or effort to implement (as far
> as engineering a solution).  You just need to have the monitoring
> system setup.
> - It places the burden on your customers to stay in line, instead of you
> - It allows you to make more efficient use of your power resources
> since you don't have to rigidly divide them up among customers.
> - We live in a capitalist society.  Capitalism is not about greed,
> it's about using financial incentives/disincentives to steer people in
> the direction you want them to go, instead of forcing them.
>
> It does put you at some risk, and the amount of the overage fee should
> be proportional to that risk.

All of our in-house datacenters use metered power strips similar to these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/813705/Tripp-Lite-Metered-PDU-PDUMH20-power/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-Cables_Surge_and_Power_Protection-_-813705&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&mr:trackingCode=B56E3671-5121-DF11-9B13-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

We use them to ensue that we don't exceed a certain percentage of the circuit
rating.  You could use them to split a 15
amp circuit into any number of circuits and limit or charge for usage based on
monitoring, instead of popping a breaker.
 There are remotely monitorable equivalents, I'm sure.