You don't tell what OS you need?

For small, short term stuff on Linux, I really like http://www.linode.com/.

You can beef up the machines, but as you beef them up, they become as pricey
as everybody else. You can use them for long term, I put an emphasis on short
term, because there is no contract, for 20$, you can get one small machine for
one month, comes with a static ip etc... That really convenient.

Setup is fast, you can grow/shrink your filesystems as you buy more or
redistribute space, they even have a rudimentary online performance /
statistics tool. They also typically come up at the top of VPS tests for
performance.

I believe they are hosted in the US, I'm not sure if you don't want anything
based in the US, or meant you are open to other locations.

--
Yves.                                                  http://www.SollerS.ca/
                                                        xmpp:y...@zioup.com