> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
> Of Jesse Thompson
>
> traffic.  The actual voice/video capabilities depend on the client or
> device.  e.g. Psi and Pidgin now have rudamentary p2p voice
> capabilities.  No client compares to Skype that I'm aware of.

Oh dear.  You haven't used iChat.  It's enormously better than skype as a
client.  Only problem is the fact that it's Mac only.

Polycom makes a similar client which is Windows only.

I'm evaluating counterpath Brio now, which is cross-platform, and looks
promising.  But I don't know yet.

> I'd be wary of openfire.  VC pressures have forced them to slow
> development of the free version.

I noticed.  And I'd be willing to consider a commercial offering, but I
don't see that they offer one.

> ejabberd, prosody, m-link are other servers worth looking into, which
> will probably outperform openfire in terms of scalability and
> customizability.

Thanks.

> If you are an Apple shop, then iChat is an option.  It can use XMPP for
> presence management and IM, and Bonjour/RendezVous/zeroconf to set up
> the voice/video connection.  I don't know of any other clients that
> work
> with iChat.

Oh.  I guess you have used iChat.  ;-)