On Sep 26, 2010, at 9:13 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> I'm not focusing on the pros/cons of wave.  I'm focusing on calling
> something a "new standard" which is not a standard because it's exclusive.
> If there's a product which is apple-only or google-only or MS-only, you
> can't call it a new standard, unless you want to qualify that, by calling it
> an "industry standard" or something like that, which imples it's not a
> standard so much as a near universal adoption by consumers.

Try actually taking a look at what is written at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FaceTime

Yes, FaceTime is right now an Apple-only product.  Heck, it doesn't even
interface with any other Apple products (like iChat).  However, that doesn't
change the fact that it is composed primarily of existing standards, and that
Apple is actively involved in taking the rest and making that a standard as
well.  As in International standard.  As in Internet standard.

As in real-deal actual standards-based standard.

I didn't claim that FaceTime was there yet.  But if you want to criticize a
product or a service, you should actually take the time to learn one iota or
two about it, before you start bashing it.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>