On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 03:24:00PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > I will take this opportunity to suggest a probably bad idea but one
> > that crossed my mind nonetheless.
> >
> > I have not actively kept up with this list so forgive me if this can't
> > be done, or isn't in line with the community's values, but what about
> > doing a Kickstarter campaign for each OpenBSD release? Varying levels
> > of support could get the different levels of swag that are already
> > distributed: CD/DVD distributions, t-shirts, stickers, etc...
>
> The problem with this model is that once again
>     - we are the ones who need to supply more;
>     - we need to promising the goods;
>     - we are the ones who need to invest;
>     - we are supposed to do the extra work;
>     - we are supposed to take time away from coding.

Who would back the KickStarter but be unwilling to donate directly to
the project?  The community is already here, the project already accepts
donations.  I don't see what KickStarter offers besides the hipster cred
of running a KickStarter, and hipster cred doesn't pay electrical bills.

Anyways, talk is cheap so I'm going to go make a donation now.  If everyone
reading this did the same this thread could die, and OpenBSD wouldn't.