> From: Bob Beck <b...@openbsd.org>
> Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:20:35 -0600
>
> this is cool .. but
>
> I would be interested in someone comparing server workloads, as
> opposed to interactive GUI response, using this.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised that inspiriation from BFS would produce
> better interactive response, my bigger concern would be does this
> adversely impact how we deal with non-interactive workloads.

One other important case to test is network packet forwarding.  Some
of our network stack is now running inside a kernel thread.  And any
changes in the scheduling behaviour have the potential of having a
significant impact there.

Another interesting case is the page zeroing thread.  It relies on
priority-based scheduling to make sure it only runs if we have nothing
better to do.

So I'm skeptical about this BFS scheduler.  Don't get me wrong; I do
think the scheduler needs attention.  But I'm not sure a scheduler
designed for interactive desktop use is the best option for OpenBSD.
I'm willing to be proven wrong.  But that means we need careful
benchmarking on a wide variety of workloads and hardware.