I'm completely lost.

I said it should work as much as a regular device does.  I suggested
the hardware always come up in software mode.  And then, the driver
fakes as if it is doing the inet6 stuff at the moment, whereas it is
already done.  So that the upper level network stack needs nothing
different.

Done right, this would require *NO* driver documentation.  Which people
won't discover.

So there's a diff, which I can't test because my specific provider
here doesn't actually do inet6.  Have to trust others.  But driver diff
either provides transparent behaviour, or it behaves as described in
this manaual page chunk in which case it isn't transparent.

I don't know which.