So currently we are down to two options:

1) Integrate test.pm in Test.pm. I think we should bundle Apache::Test with future versions of mod_perl to make the maintenance simple and remove the original Apache::test from it.

if you mean future versions of mp1, that's a good idea. that's probably reason enough to release 1.28 when we get this all sorted out.

2) Rename Apache::Test to Apache::Tester (or else) to resolve the collision.
Rename the distro Apache-Test to Apache-TestHarness (or else) to avoid confusion.

actually, I hadn't thought about it much, so I didn't realize that we could keep Apache-Test as the distribution name while changing the offending file (*duh*).

sticking with Apache-Test as the distribution gets my vote. I don't think it's too confusing - other major distributions use packages that differ from the distribution name (libwww-perl, perl-ldap, Filter, etc).

now I care much less about the name of the package that actually supplies the base functions - Apache::Tester is fine with me. Apache::TestPlan also sorta makes sense, since then

use Apache::TestPlan;
use Apache::TestRequest;

mirror what's really happening - one package is required for planning (and other housekeeping functions) and one is required for issuing the requests.

I dunno, I'm terrible with names anyway, so I'll shut up now and just wait for the results :)

--Geoff