On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 04:27:52PM +0100, Thomas Esser wrote:
> > /usr/bin/texconfig: No $TEXMFMAIN in texmf.cnf file.
> > texconfig is unable to find the texmf.cnf file.  I have verified that the
> > file
> > exists in my /usr/local/teTeX/texmf/web2c directory.  Additionally, I don't
>
> If you have made a default installation of teTeX (2.0.2), the binaries
> will be in a subdirectory of /usr/local/teTeX/bin. Put that into your
> PATH before /usr/bin.
>
> Where does /usr/bin/texconfig belong to? The previous TeX installation
> (which is now incomplete)?
>
> > However, the /etc/texmf directory apparently never was created, which seems
> > like
>
> In the default setup of teTeX (here, I mean *my* original sources which
> I guess you are using), no /etc/texmf is used, so if you don't have it,
> this is not a problem at all.

It would be a great win if teTeX would fulfill the FHS[1], in
short all configuration should be placed in /etc/texmf/,
all variable data in /var/lib/texmf/ (beside the fonts which
should go to /var/cache/fonts/), binaries depending on
the local architecture should go to /usr/lib/texmf/, and
the sharable rest may go to /usr/share/texmf/ ... this because
accordingly to FHS[1] /usr can be mounted read only ;^)

         Werner

[1] File Hierarchy Standard: See http://www.pathname.com/fhs/