  > On the other hand, it is imensely great to have a directory
  > structure as it is now. [...]

Metod,
I must admit that I misunderstood Werner's first mail.  I thought that
he wanted teTeX to be changed, but his reply to my mail made clear
that he just asks for a configure option, as you suggest.

Werner,
you mentioned the following directories:

/etc/texmf/
/var/lib/texmf/
/var/cache/fonts/
/usr/lib/texmf/
/usr/share/texmf/

All files in texmf are platform independent and can be on a read-only
file system.  So we only have

/etc/texmf/
/var/cache/fonts/
/usr/share/texmf/

If Thomas agrees that $VARTEXFONTS should be /var/cache/fonts/ instead
of /var/tmp/texfonts, what remains is only the symlink to texmf.cnf.

You wrote:

  > Hmmm ... the package te_nfs provides a script tetex-import
  > together with a README for importing the full teTeX structure
  > from a teTeX server.  Clearly this package conflicts with all
  > other teTeX packages.

I use Slackware, so I cannot look into the files.  Can you explain
what you mean?  Isn't it sufficient to set the $PATH appropriately on
a client?  I do not understand what you man with "this package
conflicts with all other teTeX packages.".

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-4592165
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]