On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:12:32PM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > On 2006-01-30 16:23:35 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>   >> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 01:12 +0100, Martin Schr?der wrote: > You
>   >> are aware that the complete TeXLive is now available as a set >
>   >> of debian packages?
>   >>
>   >> No, I don't run Debian - but that is cool.  debian packages
>   >> though don't work well with rpm based distributions.
>
>   > Please don't duplicate effort.
>
> I don't think that the effort is duplicated.  I don't know how
> reliable it is to extract deb files on rpm based systems, but I prefer
> that the conversion is done by the maintainer rather than by the user.

Hear, hear!

Because I think this has gotten lost in this conversation, let me
emphasize that packages (be they .debs or .rpms or whatever) are not
useful in isolation.  Any nontrivial package (and teTeX certainly
qualifies!) has to rely on other packages in the system to satisfy
certain dependency requirements.  Therefore, in general, it's going to
be non-trivial to install an .rpm on a Debian system, or a .deb on an
RPM-based system: the two systems do not necessarily provide the same
versions of various libraries, and so forth.  Debian also provides a
great deal of infrastructure that isn't present on other Linux
distributions, like the alternatives system or the update-* scripts.
(At least, these weren't available on other distributions last time I
looked, which was 18-24 months ago.)

Therefore, the OP's effort is not necessarily duplication, and it may
well be a worthwhile use of effort.  That said, I agree with Sebastian
Rahtz's suggestion up-thread: it would be a good investment to look at
Preining's system and see what could be used (tho I suspect that it
won't be as simple as swapping the .deb backend for an .rpm one).

Richard