On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 19:53 +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> I am not sure what Martin means, but my take on this
> is that Norbert Preining has put a LOT of effort into a script
> which builds Debian packages from the TeX Live
> master tree. It would be well worth trying to write a different
> output module on that to generate an RPM instead of a DEB.
> Maybe it wouldn't work, but it would be good to try.

I've been packaging rpm's since 2000 when I did it for a commercial .com
selling a Red Hat based LAMP.

The automatic tools for building an rpm can sometimes produce adequate
rpms, but each one has to then be checked.

For example, perl has a package that builds perl rpms from CPAN - I
don't know of a single distribution that actually uses it, because it
ends up being less work to just build them manually.

Sometimes generated rpms can be used as a decent starting point, but I
have not yet seen a tool that does a good job of consistently producing
quality packaging.

One of the things they often get wrong is directory ownership. A package
should cleanly un-install, meaning that when it is removed, no unowned
directories should be left behind. It also should not own directories
that belong to packages it depends upon. Configuration files need to be
properly marked as such, some files need to be ghosted, etc. - so any
package auto generated needs to be checked anyway, at which point you
might as well just write it from scratch.

The hardest part about making an rpm is reading the README file, and
sometimes the .sty file, to make sure the License field is correct (the
CTAN pages are sometimes incorrect).