João Batista <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Christian Baun <cray <at> unix-ag.uni-kl.de> writes:
>>
>> >    You have some code along the lines of
>> >
>> > \newif\ifpdf
>> > \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
>> >   \pdffalse
>> > \else
>> >   \pdfoutput=1
>> >   \pdftrue
>> > \fi
>>
>> You are absolutely right. This was my problem.
>>
>> Thanks
>>         Christian
>>

> OK, one question then.
>
> Suppose we're using a ill-formatted template with precisely those commands.
> Isn't there a way to disable PDF output from the command line?
>
> For example, I expected that doing
>
>   latex -output-format=dvi myfile.tex
>
> would override the previous code and put out a DVI file...

This should presumably work by making any assignment to \pdfoutput
fail to have an effect.  But this would still set "\pdftrue" above.
And this means that the document (which presumably does the above not
for the sole purpose of annoying people) will then compile a
non-functional document, by assuming PDF mode (which won't work).

Then you could call for your "-output-format" option to actually make
\pdfoutput undefined.  But this will mean that any template that
checks for \pdftexversion in order to see what control sequences it
can rely on will fail.

And so on.  I am afraid that covering for all broken templates in the
world is not going to work well.