  > As David has poined out, it would have too many side effects to
  > manipulate the primitives of pdftex.

Even if the side effects can be ignored, it is wrong to change
primimitives in order to fix bugs in macro packages.

Maybe it is sufficient to write a little file

fixpdftest.tex:
\input ifpdf.sty
\ifpdf \else \let\pdfoutput\undefined \fi

and put the line

   \input fixpdftest

into your LaTeX document before any other macro package is loaded.

Some people might not check \pdfoutput but \pdftexversion, for instance.
If you encounter such a file, you can add the line

   \ifpdf \else \let\pdftexversion\undefined \fi

to fixpdftest.tex.

However, the best thing you can do is to politely ask the author of
the package to fix the bug.  If you are unsure whether there is a bug
in a particular package, ask here before you complain.

Please note that nothing I said above had been tested in any way.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-4592165
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]