On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 10:52 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> sorry to hear that, we've all gotten spoiled by the ease of
> tetex. The elder folks among us remember the times before tetex, and
> we remember mostly that we'd like to forget about them. :)
> Thanks a lot for all these trouble-free years of texing!
>
> I hope tetex will be picked up and maintained under the same name and
> quality. Maybe the whole load of it is too much for one person and
> therefore a tetex developer group is needed? If a critical mass is
> gathered maybe it has a chance. I could offer infrastructure for
> collaborative work (trac/svn etc.).

I've been playing with the texlive src tarball from texlive 2005.

It could almost be used directly as a substitute for tetex-src-3.
The tetex-texmf part could potentially be created (on a system with a
working tex obviously) with a shell script that uses a predefined set of
ctan packages to then create a standard snapshot texmf tree for a
distribution equivalent to what tetex currently provides.