Axel Thimm wrote:

But if there would be say a program source tarball, a "basic TeXLive"
texmf tarball (which compares in size/functionality to teTeX) and a
tarball containing all the rest, then Fedora Core would ship the first
two on the media and keep the third in the Fedora Extras repository
where size doesn't matter.

The problem is not only the RPMing but also for endusers who uses
it. If I split the tree for instance in 100 subpackages one
for each style then it might arise two problems:

- an end user who don't really cares about packages TDS or whatever
is related to installation, but simply it uses the (te)TeX system someone (syadamin) has installed for him. If he has to install (or ask
to the sysadmin) for for each typical package he needs, then it
start to become difficult.

- On the other hand installing "everything" (e.g. I provide a virtual
RPM package which might include every style subpackage) might be too much
for most of users. For instance it install a lot of fonts and
styles for languages that he even never heard of (consider also from point
of view of internal teTeX mem arrays).

teTeX IMHO was reasonable on both sides providing enough styles in the
basic system for a typical user, so that required packages to be installed manually (because not provided) was then a few models can be provided:

- tetex base: same styles|macros as tetex

- extras: more but not everything

- huge: more macro packages but not of typical usage (es. MusixTeX, etc.)

- all (everything).

or still with further levels.

Bye
Giuseppe.