[EMAIL PROTECTED] said the following at 06/05/2006 04:54 AM :

> Can you post a summary for the archive?  Since 'getnonfreefonts'
> worked for me, I'm curious as to whether your problem was the result
> of some difference in the install procedures (in which case some
> document needs updating) or some difference in the underlying tex
> configuration that may affect other users, other fonts, etc.

I don't know what "getnonfreefonts" is, but in any case there seem to have
been several steps involved to get it all working properly.

1. The first thing was to completely clean my local texmf, .texmf-config
and .texmf-var directories.

2. Then I re-ran "updmap --enable Map ugm.map" (it seems like I should have
run "sync" or perhaps logged out/in before I ran it the first time -- I
really don't know why it didn't "take" the first time, but the output the
second time I ran it was *very* different from the first time).

3. In the TeX file, I had to use:
  \font\rm=ugmr8t at 12pt
(trying to use ugmr8r produced output with the words all run together --
this, I think was the one thing that we didn't solve; on Ralf's system
ugmr8r worked OK, on mine it did not).

4. I had in place in the TeX file (which was an old file from more than a
decade ago) some conversions to handle non-ASCII characters. For example, I
had:

% u umlaut = 252
\catcode`ü=\active
\defü{{\"u}}

Those conversions had to be turned off.

5. I had to make a few new conversions, based on a dump of the font map.
For example I had to define a sterling character:

% £
\catcode`£=\active
\def£{{\char"BF}}

since the original conversion mapped the sterling character to a character
that I don't know how to make on my keyboard (a c with something like a
little u above it)

I think that was the lot. I got pretty frustrated a couple of times, but
Ralf was incredibly patient and worked through it all step by step.

  Doc