On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:57:37PM +0100, taupin (wanadoo-lps) wrote:
> > Is there somebody who observes difficulties or slowing down when \including
> > musixadd? Otherwise it could IMO also be incorporated in musixtex.
>
> I'm really reluctant, once more, because of the problem of register
> consumption.
> This make musixadd and musixmadd not compatible with other register
> consuming packages, especially in LaTeX. Otherwise, MusiXTeX would
> become reserved for Omega users.

Just an idea: What about having MusiXTeX use macros instead of
registers? Sure, this would make musixtex.tex's coding somewhat more
complicated, especially where calculations are to be performed, but in
many situations, macros behave just like allocated registers. I've done
this change with musixlyr, and in the end I was surprised how little the
necessary code changes actually were.

<vision> Having overcome the register limitation, MusiXTeX could easily
be made capable of handling arbitrary numbers of instruments, slurs,
beams, etc. </vision>

Best regards,

Rainer