The problem Andre pointed out is that when he used AT in PMX to activate
Col. S's brackets, and when one got too narrow, no space was left for the
numeral. After some testing, I believe this is a flaw in tuplet.tex. PMX
puts in a little extra blank space after the digit, but does nothing else to
change the basic operation of the tuplet macros.

If Col. S. or any other Texpert is listening, could you verify this, and if
it's correct, suggest a fix to tuplet.tex?

In the process of analyzing this, I got an error when processing Cornelius'
example: replacement digits in xtups were not being handled properly. The
bug was hatched in version 2.415, when the AT option was introduced
(although it's not related to the space problem). I'll have a fix out
shortly.

I can't remember why I ever coded up the replacement digits. Why would
anyone ever want to use them?

--Don Simons