Don Simons wrote:
Christian Mondrup wrote

Whether the 'natural shaped' accidentals are typos or not there is no
doubt that they denote sharps.

I have to confess that I posted the same query to hpschd-l and have gotten
many very interesting responses. Only one of them sided with Christian; the
rest (about a dozen) said to believe what's there and had various reasons
for it. Read all about it at

http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0412&L=hpschd-l

under "Storace's accidentals".

Having seen that thread I withdraw my arguments in favour of those stated by Jown Howell, who definitely knows what he is talking about! He is among the most knowledgeable contributors to the newsgroup rec.music.early.

Aside from the implicit lack of any precendent for interpreting a natural as
a sharp, one of the main arguments for keeping them as they are boils down
to the notion that we tend to analyze such questions based on 18th-C and
later concepts of harmony (and that's exactly what Christian has done), but
that things were different in Italy in C17.

By the way, just today I uploaded a "special" excerpt (i.e., with verbatim
accidentals) of the other puzzling example, to

http://www.geocities.com/pchpublish/spemep1.pdf

Some of the other arguments centered on the academic nature of ricercari.
Since this other example is a Passo e Mezzo--a dance--I'm waiting to see if
anyone backs down.

--Don Simons

Christian Mondrup, Sheet Music Editor
Werner Icking Music Archive