nor any command which controls page numbering--unless Don used
some fancy tricks I missed when quickly scanning through the file.

Well I'm not sure I'd glorify it as "fancy", but there is a macro \toppageno defined in pmx.tex, which PMX uses for inserting page numbers and optional text into a header. In fact its pretty unfancy, because you have to perturb
it in order to get different header text on alternate pages.

Sorry for being unclear. What I wanted to say is that no page numbering command defined in musixtex.tex (we were talking about MusiXTeX if I remember right) is altered in pmx.tex, isn't it? As far as I can see, one has to call \toppageno for getting the new headline macro into use.

regards
Bernhard