Maybe this is off topic, but I'm curious to know which text editor you use when you typeset your TeX, LaTeX, MusiXTeX or PMX sources when you work under Windows XP.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the good old EDIT, but I foresee that
EDIT (a 16-bit program) will disappear with future versions of Windows.

Is there another good, free text editor that has these EDIT's excellent
features:

- clearly displays the line and row number of the cursor.
- allows to select the character and background color.

Unfortunately Notepad doesn't meet these criteria, despite its advantage of coping/pasting compatibility with most mailers and browsers.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre Coulon                  cou...@obs-nice.fr