> > I tried several years
> > ago to design a BNF-like
>
> Sorry, what's "BNF"?

A way of writing down grammars (syntax) -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backus%E2%80%93Naur_Form

However, TeX and its related languages (such as PMX) are more usually geared
towards stream/stack parsers rather than LR(1) grammars.

> > way to specify that, resembling the PMX
> > quick reference card, but failed.  Without such a description, adding
> > awareness of new PMX features can be a painful process.
>

> Yeah but we could do something simple ^^

Hate to say this, but what you're trying to do is not in any way simple!
Look at how long a competitive programming IDE took to appear in the open
source world...

If you just want syntax highlighting and a certain level of syntax checking,
why not use an editor which allows you to tailor the syntax highlighting
(e.g. Vim, Emacs, ...). You'll never want to see a regular expression again
by the end of writing a Vim or Emacs syntax module but it's not as hairy as
it sounds (and there are literally hundreds of syntax files already written
to use as starting points).

Best,

David