David Allsopp <dra-n...@metastack.com> wrote:

> > To PMX users: Don't you think PMX (with some experience) is quicker to
> > use than an editor like Finale or Sibelius because you don't have to
> > put notes on the staff?
>
> Hmm - I've never used Finale but I use Sibelius for producing editions which
> are needed rapidly. Sibelius 6 (first decent rather than merely functional
> version, IMHO)

my wife (a music teacher) swears by sibelius 7 -- the last version for
the arm processor before they bowed to market forces and switched to
widnoze.  she runs the widnoze version 6 now.

> contains a new enhanced layout tool - most recently I typeset
> 300 bars of 5 and 6 part early music (voices + lyrics, running translation,
> clefs and incipits but no piano parts. I don't use a MIDI keyboard). That
> took me a total of 11.5 hours including both visual and audio proofreading
> to create press-ready output. Is that possible with PMX?

interesting.  watching my wife compose, i've long thought it impossible
to achieve better, even with a decent high-level markup like pmx, and i
was amazed by jill-jen's assertion.  of course, wife wouldn't be faster
with pmx, since she types two-fingered (i don't understand it: she plays
and harmonises on the fly, without looking at the keyboard).

robin

(who's never written out anything substantial since musictex was
superseded by musixtex.)