Dirk Laurie wrote:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 07:05:54AM +0200, Don Simons wrote:

3. (and here's where it gets really ugly) use a special FORTRAN program I
wrote to go through the prepmx output file, looking for and deleting every
occurrence of

rp |
rp |

PMX and M-Tx both carry heavily the baggage of what programming
languages their developers knew back when.

In the meantime, some very interesting programming languages have
become available.

The above job, and indeed everything currently done by PMX and M-Tx,
is miles easier in Python than in Fortran or Pascal.  (Actually,
this job can also be done by even a primitive text editor.)
Python can also take care of the whole tex-musixflx-tex cycle.

If there are any programmers on the list who would be interested
in a Python project for an updated M-Tx, please e-mail me so that
we don't have yet another one-person effort.

I certainly support the idea of converting M-Tx to a collective software development project. I've done some patches through the past years to accommodate M-Tx to my needs - and will happily leave the maintenance to others.

I have a minor reservation for the python idea, though. It's a scripting language like perl requiring a python interpreter installed. Unless python supports generation of stand-alone binaries I foresee difficulties for Windows users not familiar with software installation.

Dirk

Christian Mondrup, Archive Editor
WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive
http://icking-music-archive.org/