I wrote
> 1. In M-Tx, (a) input all 4-staff sections normally
> (b) To go from 4 to 2, use e.g. %%L7Mn212bt
> (c) input all 2-staff sections as 4 staves with rp for the top two and
> then the desired input for Soprano and BC in the 3rd and 4th.
> (d) To switch back from 2 to 4, use e.g. %%L10P3Mn41234bttt
>
> 2. Run prepmx. Now I could process this pmx all the way, but the resulting
> score will have an unwanted bar of rests every other bar in the 2-staff
> movements. So instead,
>
> 3. (and here's where it gets really ugly) use a special FORTRAN program I
> wrote to go through the prepmx output file, looking for and deleting every
> occurrence of
>
> rp |
> rp |
>
> 4. Process the resulting modified .pmx normally.
>
> So Hermann, if you want to pursue this path, and if you do FORTRAN, I'd be
> happy to send you my source and you could modify it to suit your needs. Or
> maybe write your own script to do this using whatever language you like.
Or
> maybe delete the extra rp's by hand with a text editor. Otherwise (so far)
> sorry, but you're on your own.
>
> --Don

And Hermann wrote
"Hi Don,
before I got your actual mail I tried the same way as you point out.
Encouraged by your recent mail and the chapter 2.3.11 of the pmx manual I
started M-Tx with a dummy page with the whole number of staves and began
using M with the appropriate number of parameters for the different parts of
the score. Then I eliminated the rp / from the pmx file. But this wasn't
enough. There were some other places to change. Before I describe these
changes it maybe easier i send the pmx file commenting out the changes
indicated by %-----.
Up to now I am not quit satisfied with the space between the staves at the
beginning of the score. Maybe some TeX-lines are necessary."

Bravo! Great minds think alike :-)

I'm not sure what you'd like me to do or comment on. Did you manually edit
the M-Tx output? If so, and if you describe how you'd like the vertical
spacing, I could work out what commands to insert in the PMX to achieve it.
I don't know if it's worth trying to do that with PMX commands embedded in
M-Tx, if you're going to manually edit the M-Tx output anyway.

I'm guessing you manually inserted the redefinition of \interstaff . I can't
see why. I think the original unequal spacing on page 1 is due to the
figures sticking down below the 3rd system. If I comment out the
redefinition of \interstaff and insert "Ae", at least the systems come out
equally spaced. I'm sure the vertical spacing could be further improved with
some trial and error, forcing some page breaks, and maybe using some other
tricks, either PMX or in-line TeX. Tell me some more about what you want to
do.

--Don