Jean-Pierre and Bob and anyone else following this--

I have tried to reproduce the problem and J-P's proposed solution; and am
having very little success with either. Before we get to that, my first
question is: why do Werner's comments near the original h@linei definition
refer to "ledger lines", when this problem has nothing to do with ledger
lines???

Now as to the proposed fix, I have used the following PMX file:
1 1 2 4 2 4 0 0
1 2 20 0

.\
%\\def\myhlthick{1.5\lthick}\
%\\makeatletter\
%\\def\h@linei{\
%\\y@ii\n@v\internote\
%\\y@iii\y@ii\
%\\advance\y@ii\myhlthick\
%\\advance\y@iii-\myhlthick\
%\\y@vi\noteskip\
%\\advance\y@vi-\y@v\
%\\y@vi0.7\y@vi\
%\\y@iv\h@lf\qn@width\ifnum\y@vi>\y@iv \y@vi\y@iv\fi\
%\\y@iv0.2\qn@width  \ifnum\y@vi<\y@iv \y@vi\y@iv\fi\
%\\y@iv\y@v\
%\\advance\y@iv\y@vi\
%\\kernm\h@lf\y@vi\
%\\vrule\@height\y@ii\@depth-\y@iii\@width\y@iv\
%\\kernm\y@iv\kern\h@lf\y@vi}\
g45 a-8 a /
g45 a-8 a /

When I run it as is, in both lines, on extreme magnification in Gsview, the
initial quarter and eighth stems are displaced a bit to the left from where
they should be. The 2nd eighth stem in the first line is displaced a bit to the
right from the end of the beam, but is still left of the right-hand edge of the
notehead. In the 2nd line it lines up OK with the end of the beam but is still
to the left of right-hand edge of the notehead. Those are the baseline problems
I see, and note that for the end of the beam, they are not consistent from one
line to the next.

When I remove the comments, NOTHING CHANGES.

Am I missing something here?

--Don Simons