Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:38 PM
To: 'Werner Icking Music Archive'
Subject: Re: [Tex-music] gregorian music sheets in pmx

I had hoped the 3 quick responses to this would answer some of your
questions, but no such luck...all they did was direct you to other software.
So I set out to address your issues. But I need to install your fonts to do
that, and my almost 70-year-old brain can no longer remember the gazillion
illogical steps needed to do that manually, nor can I find any
straightforward guidelines about how to do so for bitmapped fonts. So for
now I'm limited to a few comments and questions.

1. Is it possible to move the 'gregorianCclef' at the first beginning of
the
staff?

I'm sure it can be done but I'd have to be able to generate a TeX source to
work out how.

2. In pmx the bars are translated to '\pnotes{2.83}..', so the gregorian
notes are a bit far from eachother, unless there are neumes with many
notes
(as in In Paradisum aeter'nam ha'beas). If i try to put more notes on a
line
for seeing them closer, the file does not compile anymore.

I'm VERY puzzled by why you can't put more notes on a line. I understand
you're using one note per bar, and that each input block can have no more
than 15 bars (notes). But I've checked that you can have more than one input
block on a line, for example
=======================
1 1 1 4 1 4 0 0
1 1 20 0

.\
c44 d e f g a b c /
c45 b a g f e d c /
c44 d e f g a b c /
c45 b a g f e d c /
=======================

This works fine for me, with 32 single-note bars on one line.

3. Is it possible to place the custos full automatic (by searching the
height of the 1st not on the following line)?

I don't know what a "custos" is and have no clue why you would want to know
the height of the 1st note on the following line. Regardless, of course it
would be possible to train PMX to get that information, but it would require
some complex programming to look ahead like that.

4. The gregorian flat and the custos are bitmaps, because of metafont. I
have to use dvips, i have no file for pdftex.

Is there no hope of creating Type 1 versions of these characters?

--Don