I tried to make gregorian music sheets with pmx.
It is tedius and i need a huge amount of musixtex macros.
The reason for using pmx is:
- gregorian music always needs lyrics, i use musixlyr
- There is only 1 note length, i use quarter notes: in pmx this is 'mo400'
- if necessary i use a dummy 'rb4' to fill up a bar.
- It is easy to change the layout of the sheet

For that i redefined a lot (up to now not all of them) of musixgre macros for let it use lyrics.

I  saved them in a file 'mymusixgre.tex'

In musixtex the gregorian flat and the custos are missing.
I made the symbols in metafont (file 'gregb11.mf' with char0 and char1).
It are no beauties, but i plan to redesign them later, perhaps adding them to 'xgreggen.mf'

The height of custos are placed by hand, as soon as the first note of the next line is known.
The placing at the end of the staff is done by redefining 'alaligne'.

Now comes the reason of my mail, perhaps someone can help me for the items i cannot manage.

1. Is it possible to move the 'gregorianCclef' at the first beginning of the staff? 2. In pmx the bars are translated to '\pnotes{2.83}..', so the gregorian notes are a bit far from eachother, unless there are neumes with many notes (as in In Paradisum aeter'nam ha'beas). If i try to put more notes on a line for seeing them closer, the file does not compile anymore. 3. Is it possible to place the custos full automatic (by searching the height of the 1st not on the following line)? 4. The gregorian flat and the custos are bitmaps, because of metafont. I have to use dvips, i have no file for pdftex.

Perhaps (i hope) this work is useless, because someone else has a easy way to make gregorian sheets.
But if not, i put my files here for those who are willing to look at it.

All files are here:

http://www.avrmar.be/gregpmx/

the fonts an include file and this 2 examples:

http://www.avrmar.be/gregpmx/inparad.pdf
http://www.avrmar.be/gregpmx/neumes.pdf

Andre