From: Fritz Holt <fh...@townandcountryins.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] FW: Poor little rattlesnakes
To: "Off-Topic Texas Cavers" <o...@texascavers.com>, "TexasCavers"
<texascavers@texascavers.com>, "'Mandy Holt'" <mandy.h...@ers.state.tx.us>,
"'Jenny Holt'" <jennyh...@anthonytravel.com>, "'bbat...@gmail.com'"
<bbat...@gmail.com>, "'Steve Ashmore'" <sashm...@sbcglobal.net>, "'Sam
Ashmore'" <samashm...@sbcglobal.net>, "Sally Dearing"
<sdear...@townandcountryins.com>, "'Guy Heath'" <hea...@satx.rr.com>, "'June
Levy'" <kittymr...@aol.com>, "'Janice Vieira'" <janjanj...@aol.com>, "'Jim
Sherwin'" <jim.sher...@ers.state.tx.us>, "'James E. Wagner'"
<j_e_wag...@comcast.net>, "'Karen Ashmore'" <ka...@karenashmore.com>, "'Debra
Batts'" <badba...@sbcglobal.net>, "'r_isaac...@sbcglobal.net'"
<r_isaac...@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 10:44 AM

I don’t share my good friend’s
feelings about rattlesnakes as I like and am amazed by all snakes and reptiles
in general. Being a city dude I took every opportunity to have outdoor
adventures and to take my family camping. My daughters and I still enjoy it to
this day. We still remove turtles to the relative safety of our highway rights
of way. Too many uninformed individuals condemn all snakes due to the lack of
public education such as that afforded by BCI for bats. If harmful snakes
invade your immediate territory remove them to a distant similar habitat. I
consider myself an environmentalist but not so extreme as to place all
creatures needs above that of man. There is always a way to satisfy both goals.
While I like to see rattlesnakes protected, they should not be placed on the
endangered species list unless there is solid evidence that they are in danger
of becoming extinct. There is already too much government intervention in our
daily lives. I have never been in favor of the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup
and other such events even if it did put them on the map for tourists. This is
money the town could do without. VIVA LA RATTLESNAKE!

Fritz

Well, I WILL admit that any rattlesnake who ventures onto MY yard IS
endangered!  We have an understanding.  THEY stay in the wild and do
NOT come in MY territory and I will leave them alone.  Otherwise, they
will go to the great snake heaven in the sky.

Jackie

Feds
Considering Adding Rattlesnakes to ‘Endangered Species List’ to
Deny Land Rights

Environmental
groups have convinced the federal government to propose listing the poisonous
eastern diamondback rattlesnake as an endangered species in order to protect
the reptile from “human persecution.”

“Survival
of these snakes in large part depends on whether people continue to persecute
them or instead choose to allow these amazing creatures to share the land with
us,” Bill Matturro, spokesman for Protect All Living Species, said in
welcoming the government’s decision, announced earlier this month.
“In the Southeast, we are blessed with a rich natural heritage of animals
and plants. All of these species—even the rattlesnakes—should be
allowed to exist.”

The Fish
and Wildlife Service says they are taking comments on listing the snake because
environmental groups presented “substantial scientific or commercial
information indicating that listing the eastern diamondback rattlesnake may be
warranted.”