At the Welder Wildlife Foundation headquarters (living quarters, lab and
libraries, admin offices, etc) comprising an area of 5 or so acres they
have a 4-foot high hog-wire perimeter fence with a 12 or 18 inch barrier of
1/2-inch hardware cloth (set into the soil a couple of inches) wired to to
the bottom of the hog-wire around the entire perimeter. The hog-wire keeps
the larger animals out of  the compound and the 1/2-inch mesh keeps the
majority of the rattle snakes out. Desirable snakes and other beasts are
permitted inside the compound.
--Ediger