Allan,

I like my Sten Light too.  It is not NOT a good waterproof light.  The
battery contains circuitry.  The plug connection between the battery and the
light is a portal for water. Not a good combination.  The risk can be lessen
by coating the connection with dielectric grease.

The light I use for exploring water caves is no longer available. Speleo
Technic FX2 was the brightest, least bulky and most robust light of its
day.  Now the incandescent light powered by a NiCd battery on a belt is
still one of the most robust.  Mine is a twenty plus years old.  If I have
not killed, it is not for lack of trying.  I have surveyed with the head
piece half filled with water with no ill effect.  But in this era of retina
burning lasers, it is no longer the bright light.

Josh