Whatever kind of light you get, you'll definitely want to go with LEDs. Incandescent just can't compete when it comes to brightness and battery life. And for batteries, you can't beat lithium ion. They are small, lightweight, long-lasting, very reliable and much cheaper in the long run over disposable types. I dislike waist-mounted battery packs with their respective cords, but with lithium ion you can easily mount the battery on the helmet. For my money, the Sten Light is the best available for general caving. It is not a diving light, but it is definitely waterproof enough to use on any normal trip, even in a wet cave like Honey Creek. According to their web site it is waterproof to 8 meters, which is enough for anything most cavers will encounter. I've worn mine on free dives a couple of meters deep with no problem. The cord connector, while definitely not watertight, has never been a problem for me. They're not cheap, but a very worthwhile investment. They also have excellent customer service and will usually repair any problem short of actual abuse for free.

Mark

At 04:54 PM 6/13/2011, Stefan Creaser wrote:
I second the durability of FX-2's; I've had mine for more than 15yrs and it's still going strong. It's outlasted numerous helmet mounted lights, though it is more robustly made (for caving).

Looks like you can still get old ones:

http://www.thecavingandclimbingshop.com/epages/BT3421.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3421/Categories/Caving_Equipment/Lighting%5B1%5D/SpeleoTechnics

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300555317667

Cheers,
Stefan

From: Josh Rubinstein [mailto:kars...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 3:26 PM
To: Allan B. Cobb
Cc: Tim Stich; Don Arburn; Mallory Mayeux; Texascavers@Texascavers.Com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Headlamp question

Allan,

I like my Sten Light too. It is not NOT a good waterproof light. The battery contains circuitry. The plug connection between the battery and the light is a portal for water. Not a good combination. The risk can be lessen by coating the connection with dielectric grease.

The light I use for exploring water caves is no longer available. Speleo Technic FX2 was the brightest, least bulky and most robust light of its day. Now the incandescent light powered by a NiCd battery on a belt is still one of the most robust. Mine is a twenty plus years old. If I have not killed, it is not for lack of trying. I have surveyed with the head piece half filled with water with no ill effect. But in this era of retina burning lasers, it is no longer the bright light.

Josh