Freddie wrote:

“It is nice to know that NCKRI is in favor of recreational caving. Some cavers
have actually told me that they thought NCKRI would become part of the federal
govt. conglomerate and therefore limit or ban caving in some areas except for
research purposes. I am sure that we will all be glad that your organization
supports recreational caving. Thank you for clarifying this.”

I’m about to start a couple of weeks of travel and endless meetings, and I may
be slow or unable to respond to messages for a while. But before I disappear
I’m sending this message to clarify things about me and NCKRI.

My message below was on my views and was not an official position by NCKRI.
NCKRI hasn’t taken a position on the question of recreational caving. However,
while I’m the Executive Director you can expect that my views will generally
reflect the unofficial position of the Institute until either the positions are
made formal, my Board of Directors says otherwise, or possibly when a new
Executive Director takes my place (which I hope will be a long time off).

As for NCKRI itself, it has a convoluted origin. It was initially an institute
within the National Park Service, with matching funds from the State of New
Mexico and a partnership with the City of Carlsbad to build its headquarters.
For greater flexibility, in 2006 NCKRI was changed to a non-profit that is
administered by the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (aka New
Mexico Tech). But we are a hybrid non-profit. We still answer to Congress and
have federal funding so we are somewhat federal. We still get state funding and
are state employees through New Mexico Tech, so we are somewhat state. Using
its own money, plus state and federal money, the City of Carlsbad built our
headquarters for us and that is our home. But we are still an independent
non-profit. When I first got here in 2007 I was concerned about the proverbial
“too many cooks that might spoil the soup.” Instead, it has been a beautiful
partnership where NCKRI gains strength and opportunities through its partners
in ways that regular non-profits couldn’t dream of, while being able to do
things its partners can’t dream of because NCKRI is in fact a non-profit.

When it comes to federal regulation of caves and karst, NCKRI has no authority.
When we are invited to serve on committees and teams from the local to
international level, governmental and private, unless one of those teams is
given actually authority on an issue (which is rare), our role is just as an
advisor. While I support recreational caving, I also support responsible
caving. I know my Board, founding partners, and staff support me on this. There
are times when certain activities in caves are not appropriate in certain
situations. In those cases I’ll err on the side of protecting the cave. If the
cave isn’t our priority, it won’t be available or available in a way where we
can continue to enjoy it for recreation, science, or other purposes as we had
before. I won’t discuss hypothetical situations or examples where NCKRI isn’t
involved and doesn’t have all of the information firsthand. For NCKRI to do
what it was created to do and in the most effective manner, NCKRI and its staff
don’t need to get involved in personal or political conflicts and intrigues. If
we are confronted with a situation where we must take a position, we will do it
case-by-case, with as much firsthand information as possible, and after careful
consideration of the many possible consequences.

If anyone wants to know more about NCKRI, visit our website, www.nckri.org. For
a more comprehensive overview and history, look in the “About NCKRI” tab and
under the “Publications” menu you’ll find all of our annual reports available
for viewing and download. If you want to discuss something directly with me,
contact me off-list. I’ll be glad to visit with anyone, but it will have to be
after June 7th.

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919