I'm not sure if the "texascavers" will permit a link to some photos (in the
Microsoft Silverlight cloud) of a trip with Ralph Batsche but I will try with
this this e-mail.

For years , Ralph Batsche was a steady supporter of caving in Houston.  I can't
recall many details of specific trips with him, but he was very active in the
early 1970's.  He was a prominent geophysicist here in Houston.  In the mid
1980's Ralph lost his job in the collapse of the oil and gas business.  He
moved to West Virginia to live near his children. I spent some time with him at
the NSS convention in West Virginia (1995).

One of Ralph's habits was to keep a very detailed daily diary of all his cave
trips.  Now I wonder what has become of that document.  It would contain some
historic information about early caving activities in Mexico.

I probably have many good photos of Ralph, but the one in this batch was
easiest to locate.  The photos in this link were taken over Thanksgiving
holidays 1974 in Mexico.  Ralph standing around a fire in photo #16.  This was
a cold trip into the mountains that hold the Sistema Purification (although
that cave system had not been named yet).  Besides Ralph Batche and myself, the
people involved were Bill Sherborn, Mike and Teresa Connolly, Tom Iliffe
(Galveston Caver) and Jeff Etherage.  Jeff was to die a couple of years later
from complications following hip surgery.

On the first day into the mountains those of us riding motorcycles experienced
hypothermia when a wet cold front came through.  We visited Cueva Brinco and
then went up on the Mesa Juarez to Rancho Nuevo to see Cueva California. The
radiator core on Bill's van developed a leak, but we were able to drive back
down out of the mountains with the cap off, just adding water frequently.

Photo #16 shows (left to Right) Bill Sherborn, Ralph Batche, Jeff Etherage,
Teresa and Mike Connolly and Tom Iliffe.

Jim McLane
Houston TX

Ralph Batsche -Mexico 1974

VIEW SLIDE SHOW
DOWNLOAD ALL

ADD MORE PHOTOS
This online album has 35 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until
01/25/2011.

Share your own slide shows with Hotmail  > Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 06:55:15 -0500